Winter in DC is a great time. First off, there's not much prettier than the Capitol and the Mall at night when it's snowing. The sounds of traffic get muted, and the snow falling all around really makes for some cool scenes.
The second best part is watching the local newscasts. It is entertainment at its best. For example, this snowstorm we're having was the lead story on all the local channels. The Fox affiliate even went so far as to give an interview with a VDOT manager who described, in detail, their pre-salting program. For the uninitiated, the DOT out here makes sure that there's a layer of salt down on the roads before any snow starts falling, just to make sure it doesn't stick. It leads to the hilarious scenes of snowplows rolling down the interstates putting down salt in bright blue clear skies. Of course most of the salt just blows off the roads, but nobody can say that it's not for lack of trying. It's awesome! The other great part of the newscasts are the inevitable shots of a grocery store with all the customers in full panic mode. I can pretty much guarantee that if Jen and I went to the store tonight we wouldn't be able to buy toilet paper or milk.
The last best part is watching the flannel come out. For anyone out west who hasn't had the pleasure of coming to DC, let me set the scene. Most "men" out here aren't cut from the same cloth as men out west. I'll leave it at that and stay somewhat PC. The hilarious part comes when the snowflakes start flying. That's when the metrosexuals reach back into their closets and grab the flannel. You'll see more flannel shirts and jackets in a 2" snowstorm out here than you can imagine. It's quite a scene, let me tell you.
So that's a little taste of winter in DC. Hope you all out west enjoyed it!!
That's pretty much the story for us. We're getting ready to go in for a long, long, long, long day of chemo on Friday. When the scheduled day is 9 hours of infusion time, we can be sure that we won't see much sunlight... I feel great this week, with good energy and functioning brain. The only pain is from the erbitux rash, which has come back with abandon this week. Other than that we're both doing well.
Thanks again for all the prayers and comments!!
January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
We are loving winter here, too. NOT! About forty mph winds and twenty degrees, moving the snow, feels like a sandblaster out there. Joe says not exactly but you get the idea.
Your news is good good good. As always, when Holy Spirit prompts me to pray, the scriptures that come forward are about praying the life of God back into your body, even as the chemicals and your words kill the cancer.
"The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." - Jesus, John 6:63
Feed and feed and feed on the Word. It is working!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your Aunt Karla loves you both!
p.s. Is "Major League" the correct answer to the movie quote?
There really. is winter here in Billings too. Not quite so windy as the Missouri valley, tho.
I am to go in next Tuesday for a testosterone blocker.
Prostate cancer feeds on testosterone so we are going to cut off the food supply. I'm not sure what the rest of the procedure include but it is not spreading at this time. Trusting with you that Jesus bare all my sickness and diseases and by his stripes I am healed.
Standing with you in faith. I love you and am standing with you in faith.
Gpa Jeremy
Flannel is so 90s. All the real men wear carhartt now. I always wear my carhartt overalls whenever I venture outside to do manly activities like pick up my newspaper or work on my car (which means check the air in my tires or fill up the gas tank)...Wait, are those not manly activities?
I don't know if that can top the "snow storm" we had in Vegas about a month ago. Over the course of about 12 hours we got maybe 4-5 inches of snow. Not only did people leave work early (we were actually told to go home as our boss felt it was unsafe for us to be on the roads), the school district cancelled all the events (basketball games and assemblies - which are held during the school day on campus!). The news stations had hour long winter storm watch specials (which they cancelled Dirty Sexy Money for) that consisted of a person standing in the snow talking about how its snowing - for an hour! People went sledding, made snow men, it was awesome.
The best part of it, the school district cancelled school the following day. The next morning the temperature was back up to 60, blue skies, no remaining snow! This town is awesome!
I think you need to be a little more specific when you start talking about "men" and "out here". I know everywhere and every man can't be "out west" types but I have broad shoulders...If I was from DC I'd be offended and I might even consider calling my local ACLU rep to straighten things out. Instead I think I'll focus that I'm-from-the-east-but-I-swear-I'm-like-manly-"out-west"-guys chip on my shoulder elsewhere: I'm going to put on my flannel (or Carharts because its more stylish) and jump in my monster 4WD pickup truck and look for some innocent furry animal to shoot. Or run over. Then I might eat it. Raw if I have to. Is that "out west" enough to impress you?
Oh yeah, the pre-salting is definitely dumb. If only there were more people from "out-west" to fix that and the flannel problem.
BMR.
and NO ONE in the DC area can drive, don't forget that. seriously NO ONE can drive in any kind of weather in this town. Job security for me, but so so so so so so annoying. and they can't drive in that sh**hole to our northeast: Baltimore either. Jessie
Kurt, my friend - The WORD says to pray for one another; to pray for the sick, so that you will be healed. Also to forgive anyone who has hurt you or offended you, so that you will be forgiven. Life is way too short to hold a grudge. So, I'm asking you to pray for me, for this disgusting neuropathy that is such a pain in my feet. We will pray for each other so that we both will be healed! Agreed? I will go to physical therapy tomorrow for that -- have about 10 treatments yet that the DR. recommended. Then I will start a different kind of therapy, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the prayers. Kurt I am praying that you will have NO PAIN and you will be administered healing, whole & complete and that most of all, you will experience PEACE; a peace that you will not even understand -- It's the Peace that "passes understanding" - you can't figure why you have it, but you know it's there. It's what I call the "God-kind of Peace". I love it. Name it and claim it, Kurt! I will be expecting you & Jen to send us a good report. God Bless you both.
Love, as usual,
G'ma D
Use the Name of Jesus when you need to, (but not in cursing, please - ha ) because HIS NAME IS THE NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES! At HIS name, every thing has to bow to HIM! Lest I get on another preaching role, Kurt, have a great night and a great, healed weekend!!!!
Borto you've always been a manly man to me. From your flannel lined jeans to your impeccable shirts, you've oozed masculinity in a way only you can. I know that when you get the mail you get it like a man's man gets it. Keep bein you man!!
Post a Comment