November 3, 2008

Go Vote, I guess....

I know you all have been waiting breathlessly for my election commentary. Considering the weight of that heavy burden, I have given this tremendous thought, trying to helpfully and concisely articulate all that will unfold tomorrow. After much serious reflection, I think I have come to my conclusion:

Ick.

Just ick. This is the worst. It is the first time since 1994 that I have completely sat out an election. Not one ounce of volunteering. I could just gag on voting for McCain, but at least he isn't trying to create the United Socialist States of America. "Spread the wealth around." Honestly, who says that?? I earned everything I have -- nothing was handed to me. What gives Obama the right to pick winners and losers? I made the choices that got me where I am, and Kurt did the same thing. And that lets someone who chose instead to take a different path pick our pockets? Wrong.

I don't necessarily disagree with much of what McCain stands for (because I am a loyal wife, I will register here Kurt's continued disgust of "global warmism." Also, let the record reflect that I graciously offered Kurt the first political blog, but every time he tried, he ended up in a rage.) but having worked in the Senate, I saw what an unpleasant person he was. He had such an angry edge to him and he always seemed spiteful. But, he is more experienced, not as an executive, but as a leader in general. And, he is right on taxes which, for me, is essential. He understands the military, which is also key. And, go ahead -- laugh, but I love Sarah Palin. I saw her at convention, and she was awesome. Despite what everyone says, she can do more than read a teleprompter. I could see the prompter at convention from where I was sitting, and it failed for the first half of her speech. That was all live, and she was great. She is an executive, and I like her. So there.

We'll be watching the ESPN MNF halftime circus interviews with both candidates tonight. Should be good for some laughs. And then we will drag ourselves over to vote tomorrow -- a decided vote AGAINST Obama -- and check the box for McCain. For my dear friends who will choose a pinker path, you can rest well knowing that we vote in DC ... voting republican in DC is pretty much as effective as writing your own name in. So there you go. Feel free to share your thoughts on the election in the comments.

Regardless of your persuasion, go vote tomorrow. There is no excuse for failing to exercise that unique privilege.

7 comments:

Steph said...

Seriously - what an icky election! If I thought abstaining to vote would result in a do-over election I would! I kind of agree on Palin. Daniel believes the only reason people dislike her is because she actually has an opinion and will state it openly, which no one is used to hearing from political candidates (and yes, he's a Republican - you should be proud). I hate going to vote and having to choose the person who I dislike the least.

Melissa said...

I completely agree with you. Having sent my husband to Iraq and now looking at another deployment, I would rather have a president that has military experience and knowledge than a president that will not even show respect to our flag or country by saluting it.

Vicki said...

Well! It's about time! I was starting to feel like that blog introduction was . . . dare I say . . . just another election year empty promise! I'm sure I speak for many when I say we're always interested in your and Kurt's political opinions. Anyway, it promises to be an interesting night tomorrow! I wonder if it will be decided, or will it get drug into the courts over the next couple of weeks? I miss the days of the gracious concession!

Of course, we've been voting out here in Oregon for a couple of weeks now. After reading the predicated lengths of lines at the polls, I can't imagine why the rest of the country isn't voting by mail yet!

Trink said...

This year I am not thinking of it as actually voting .. . but more as exercising my right to bitch.

I do like Sarah Palin though. Would it be wrong to do a write in as Sarah Palin and running mate????

Juanita Dietz said...

Hard to believe that tomorrow is finally "V" day - V for Victory. or perhaps V for voting day. I can still HOPE, can't I? -- I love election surprises!
I just can't vote ahead of election day, as I just wasn't raised that way. My parents always made a huge occasion of voting. My Pop, being a butcher by trade, would take off at noon, come home, shower, (to get the blood off, I think) and get dressed up, and go to the polls. Pop, his education finished at the end of his 5th grade, (4th, my Sis says), was quite proud of his right and privilege to vote. He considered it as helping choose a Pres to guide this great country, and he took it very seriously. After voting, my folks would usually go to a late lunch and then about 6 pm, my Day went back to the butcher shop, until midnight or so. Of course the man never voted correctly in his life, the old "Yellow Dog Democrat" -- I never knew my Mother to cancel his vote, altho she wanted to several times, she said, but just couldn't do it. Your Great, Great G'ma on the Pletcher side of the fam, was very interested in politics -- she was a huge FDR fan and loved the NEW DEAL. On my Mom's side of the family (TALIAFERRO) , her Dad, my G'pa - Del, was on the ballot in OCHILTREE county, Texas for sheriff and was a sheriff for 13 years in Perryton and Och. county. I think they were all of the "D" affiliation. (ha ha) Must be why I turned to the party of the GOP. It is truly wonderful that we have that choice -- it's called FREEDOM!!
Altho, I wish my DaD was still here, he would have a terrible time voting D at this election, as he was a huge racist & everybody knew it. I'm sure he could not even imagine a black man ever being on the ticket.
I'm sure every PRES thinks that he will be in charge, once he's elected, but I take great comfort in the fact that only GOD is in control and HE will turn things the way He wants them. He can even remove a Pres. The Bible says he can remove Kings, as He did in Bible times. I just pray that HE will turn the tide the way HE wants. Here's to a wonderful next 4 years, G'ma D
Kurt, Keep standing in there -- Anything you need or anything I can do for you??? All you need do is ASK. God Bless

bmrdirt said...

OMG.

If I could articulate everything I wanted to say about this election google would run out of bits.

Ick works. So does ugh.

Jenn you made a nice run at the introduction to the dust jacket of my book, but since I don't have the time, desire, or skill to write a book, I can state it more clearly:

Who is John Galt?

Kurt, I think you know what I mean.

BMR.

Anonymous said...

I have only one short comment about the politics and election: THANKSGIVING DINNER CONVERSATION !!!
SERVED WITH WINE!!!

(Vicki will be looking forward to this)

Love, grannie channie