One of the nurse comes out to check on her patient. Nurse says "how are you feeling?" Patient says "I've been pretty sick this week - really nauseous." Nurse says "Have you been taking your anti-nausea medicine?" Silence. Uncomfortable silence. "Um, not really." At this point, I'm expecting the nurse to lay some truth on this woman, but the nurse just patiently says "ok, you need to take that every day to prevent the nausea." Hello!
So then the same nurse turns around to leave and another patient grabs her arm. He has a cup of coffee in one hand and actually says: "I have a ct scan today, and it says here that I'm not supposed to have food or drink for three hours before, but this cup of coffee is ok, right?" Yeah, dude - that's totally ok. No worries. I am stockpiling smart @ss responses in my head, but that sweet nurse just patiently says "No, I'm afraid not. Nothing at all to drink."
I do not know how these nurses do it. There is not enough money in the world for what they put up with.
5 comments:
They are Christmas angels year 'round! ...especially chemo nurses! love and miss you! -mom
Oh Jen - your humor, patience, and strength is so admirable! Wish we were there again. Hugs to you and Kurt. Thanks for the bday wishes. Call if you need anything. Will be thinking about you today.
Hey Jennifer, Kurt,
Too funny....at least you've got entertainment...and your sense of humour still! :)
Thinking about you both and hoping the drugs keep kicking you-know-what!
Take care,
Cynthia
Jen as a nurse:
"Congratulations. You have reached the last time I'm going to say this. You must take these pills. Now, there are two places they can go. One requires vaseline, and conveniently I've got a jar right here. Want to keep playing games? I thought not."
I give a thorn to stupid people and a rose to Kurt.
Post a Comment