December 12, 2008

Now we know...yay!!

Ok, we just finished talking to our oncologist and I think we can safely say that the results on the tumor markers is pretty awesome news!

Kurt's doctor is very encouraged by the drop in tumor markers. He reminded us that this is as much art as science, so none of these tests are determinative and that numbers can often introduce a false sense of precision, when we really have to look at everything together. But, he said these results do indicate we are making progress against the tumor. I asked Dr. D if it was possible that all we are doing is stopping the tumor growth. In his opinion, if that were the case, then the numbers would be static. The fact that they are going down means that we are making progress. Of course, my follow-up question was "how much progress," but we really won't know that until the next CT scan in January.

Evidently, Dr. D ordered this blood work because the marker levels were so high when Kurt was diagnosed -- but, they could be much higher. Dr. D said they can shoot up to 20,000 or more. That helps give a little context to the numbers -- normal is 3 or less, and elevated can be really elevated. He also said that the way these markers get cleared out of the blood is through the liver. So, the fact that the numbers are way down is a sign that Kurt's liver continues to function well, which is great.

I asked if this drop in numbers represented average progress, slow progress or what. Dr. D really put things into perspective when he reminded us that people battling cancer may show no progress. So this really is a pretty big deal -- it isn't earth-shattering, but it is pretty darn good. I get so eager to see Kurt win this battle, sometimes I forget how long this haul really is. And how fortunate we are for every bit of good news. Kurt is such a warrior. It is amazing to stand with him in this fight.

He is about halfway through treatment for the day and feeling good. I feel much better after talking to the doctor (and unloading on the insurance company this morning, but that is a story for another day) and I think Kurt is more relaxed too.

Now, if I can just talk him into a little Christmas shopping tomorrow....

5 comments:

Drew said...

That's really great news, Jen, and couldn't have come at a better time to make the holidays happy.
all best,
Drew

Vicki said...

Finally! That's such wonderful news and after having to wait all week I was afraid the excitement would be lost . . . but I was wrong! I am SO excited to hear that! I know they tell us that in the long battle, it's not always good news, but for now, I don't care about that. I care about this and how exciting it is! Keep doing what you're doing. I really believe this is happening because you two are doing your part in conjunction with the medicine. Keep eating the right foods and stay strong and positive. Love you both a ton!

the uribe family said...

What a blessing!!!! YAHOO!! I feel like jumping for joy for you guys. I think I will!!! :) Keep up what you are doing & everyone on our ends will keep the positive thoughts & prayers going too. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hip, Hip Hooray! I knew you could do it, Kurt. God Bless. I'm laughing & crying all at the same time. Yes, we take this as good, good news! I will echo what Vicki F said "Keep doing what you're doing." It's working. Now you have a wonderful, restful weekend. Always Love & Prayers,
G'ma D

Joe and karla said...

YEAH!

Go your way and tell what things you have seen and heard: how the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached! - Jesus (Luke 7:22)

and tumors DIE! - Aunt Karla