So there's been a change in plans...
Late last Tuesday afternoon, my GI doc called me with some information. She had studied with a senior GI oncologist at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in NYC. He told her a couple of good pieces of information. First, that Hopkins was absolutely the best place for me to be going. Second, that there was a new clinical trial that I needed to get into.
Long story short, we didn't have chemo today since we're looking closely at this clinical trial. For anyone that's interested, click here to see a summary of it from the National Cancer Institute. It involves a new drug called cetuximab that fights cancer cells in a totally different way.
Today we went up to Hopkins to take our chemo class, get some blood work done, and meet with the nurse in charge of enrolling patients in this study. I found out that I'm definitely eligible for the study. The biggest hangup right now are insurance issues. This stuff will all be worked out, but it means that we may delay starting treatment until 10/3. We're talking it over with my oncologist to make sure I can wait that long, and he seems to think that it's ok. The bloodwork done today will confirm that.
We will definitely keep you all posted as things develop. Thank you all so much for your continued prayers and support!!
-ko
September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Whew!!! I can't imagine how exhausted you both must be -- waiting, thinking, everything. So make sure that you are resting enough & eating well!! Hopefully you are still allowing yourself to do something fun that you enjoy. I can't even begin to fathom what sorts of feelings you must be having. Please know that I think about you both non-stop. I wish that there was more I can do. For now, I'm just living strong and sending my angels your way.
This is from Aunt Karla, I am at Grandma's.
No weapon formed against you shall prosper! And every tongue that shall rise against you in judgement you shall condemn! (show to be in the wrong) This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord! Isaiah 54:17
Those tongues rising against you, Evil cancer reports, you will show to be in the wrong!
Kyla said she is sending her angels your way, Yes, Psalm 91 says that He gives his angels charge over us to keep us in ALL our ways. Spirit, soul and body!
The Ayers family loves you and we are excited to see you and beat you in Cranium or something in a week or so!
Hi Kurt - When I don't know how, what, which, who, etc. I go to James 1;5. I like studying it in different translations -- KJV says If any of you lack wisdom, ask of God that giveth to all men liberally & upbraideth not -- & it shall be given him. Amplified version says he gives ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faulltfinding, The Message Bible says (this is blunt, but I like it) If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea. I'm adding "Know what you want and then pray with "Authority." you must know his will of course. He wants You, Kurt -- WELL -- He has something wonderful for you to do. III John, verse 1 says HE wants us to Prosper and BE IN HEALTH --- He says , most of all, he wants us in health. PTL
Well, as usual, that's the sermon on my heart, for you, for today. Don't forget how much God and all your family and friends LOVE YOU>
Here's a riddle for you, Kurt --- answer at the bottom --- Why do cows have bells? Good night -- I "ll try to write again soon, even tho I will be away from my computer for 10 days.
Answer -- Because their horns don't work. chuckle, chuckle
G'Ma D
I'm still stuck on Jen's reference to Vanilla Ice in the previous post - and trying to picture you busting it out in the lab, spiky hair and bad clothing with shoulder pads and all...
"If there was a problem, yo, I'll solve it;
Check out my tumor while the chemo dissolves it."
Instant classic.
JP, that is the single best idea ever. I'm going to be huge in the chemo ward.
Post a Comment