October 22, 2008

But it's a good rash

One cycle down, 2 more to go before the next round of scans. Yesterday's treatment went well. We had a different nurse (one that we won't have again...) since my regular one had a full schedule. I had plenty of benadryl and zantac before the drug hit, and they started it nice and slow. End result - no problems! I was pretty much out of it all day yesterday from the benadryl, but felt great otherwise. I tried taking some Ambien last night to help me sleep through the night, and I can tell that it'll take some getting used to. I got up to take a shower this morning and couldn't really walk a straight line to the bathroom. Since I wasn't safe for the roads, I stayed home and wrote software all day. Gotta love working in my shorts in my living room!

One of the fun side effects of the cetuximab is that I'm breaking out like a 16 year old. My face is pretty much covered in an acne-like rash, and it's spreading out over my chest and back. It doesn't itch or anything, I just look funny. The weird thing about this drug is that the rash is a good thing. Apparently it indicates that the drug is fighting the cancer like it's supposed to. So I'm ok with the rash!

Thanks again for all your prayers and support! It means a ton to both of us that so many of you are thinking and praying for us!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kurt & Jennifer, We finally caught up on your info. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us. Some day some of us may need your knowledge. Our prayers are with you both. Take care. Remember we are all here for both of you. Tara Rowland, David, Alexandra, & Azzia

the uribe family said...

You are right that "it's a good rash." It was so good to talk to you the other day Kurt. Hearing your voice is so comforting, just knowing that you have the most amazing and positive outlook on everything. Hang in there!!!

bmrdirt said...

just be honest Kurt....I do indeed believe that you were writing software on your couch.....I do not necessarily believe that you were wearing shorts.

Just thought I'd throw that image out there for everyone.

BMR.

Jennifer said...

Oh Brad -- that's funny because it is SO true. :)

Steph said...

Glad to know the treatments are going smoothly!

FYI - I am so never sitting on your couch!

Unknown said...

Kurt,
I'm glad the treatment is going well. I'll sit on the couch with you. I'm not scared. Very much.

Josh

Juanita Dietz said...

Hi Kurt; Just wondering how the rash is treating you. I can ask Elizabeth for some "Proactiv", I think it is, that she as a 15 year old uses. It works well for her, I believe. Let me know and I will send some if you say so!
A really blustery, windy, fall day here today. This is usually my fav time of year. I have this huge (little over an inch) gash filled with stitches down the left side of my nose. Looks horrible, but I get the stitches out on Tues. That cancer is no respecter of persons. It attacks in every way that it can. BUT the good thing is that GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS, either. HE HEALS ALL who ask, if they believe. WE don't have to be perfect before God hears us and before HE Heals.
Now, you be a good boy, take you meds and say your prayers. Talk to you soon. Love Always, G'ma D