May 16, 2009

Symposium Day 1

Our first day of the liver symposium was ... odd.

We are staying at a beautiful, swanky downtown Chicago hotel - with no internet access. They have it, but it is $20/day. Weak. So Kurt and I are sharing this mobile post.

We are the youngest here, by about a decade or two. Strangely, that tends to prompt people to tell us stories about the twenty-something they knew once who died of cancer. So, that's cool.

Today was a lot of "inspiration" and "motivation." Listen, we love uplifting, powerful victory stories as much as the next person. But, c'mon. There is a limit. They keep asking us to share words - I don't really know what that is all about, but it requires me to keep a very close eye on Kurt.

On the positive side, the doctors who spoke today were fascinating. One of them published a paper based on his belief that CT scans are a lagging indicator, maybe by as much as 3-6 months. Because CT scans can't distinguish between dead tumor and live tumor, they may not be as precise as PET scans. When we go to Houston, they are going to run a PET scan, so it will be interesting to see how it compares to the diagnostic PET - that was the last time Kurt had one done. We talked to the doctor after his speech, and discussed the dramatic drop in tumor markers vs the stagnant CT scans. He said that he would trust the markers more than the scan.

Tomorrow is all doctors, which we are really looking forward to. We are learning a lot, and will post more as we digest it ...and get an internet connection, like civilized people.

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kurt & Jen - I just wanted to leave a note to let you know that we are thinking of you. Your posts are amazing and both of you have a wicked sense of humor, I love it! If you are in the Cleveland area for any reason, please look us up....Kim Funderburg (and Dave too!)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kurt & Jen!
I'm so glad that you have this opportunity to learn about this "stupid cancer". I pray that you will be able to decipher what will help you from all the info that you must be getting. I applaud you for the strength, persistence & tenacity that you are showing in pursuing more knowledge. I am praying that you have the FAVOR OF GOD in all that you do; that the Doctors & speakers, etc. have Wisdom and you too have Wisdom in knowing which info to receive into your minds and spirits. God Bless You.
Praying continually for you; Thanks for keeping us informed.
Love, G'ma D.