We just booked our flights to Houston!
So, on June 4-9, we will be at MD Anderson Cancer Center, meeting with a panel of docs -- an oncologist, a radiologist, and a surgeon. They will do a bunch of tests and scans as well, so it will be interesting to see if there is any variation. The trip to Chicago prepared us with a much more robust set of questions to ask and I am excited to see what other options are out there. Kurt is talking to some people at NIH as well ... finally, we appear to be making some progress in additional treatment options.
Both the MD Anderson trip and the NIH dialogue came about because of the efforts of some really fabulous friends. It honestly overwhelms me sometimes -- the outpouring of love and support we have received is the most curative tool we have! On a similar note, I am amazed at how supportive the nurses here have been. They are cheering Kurt on and telling him he is doing the right thing. That helps -- these nurses have been the warriors in the trenches with us, and I would hate to lose our contact with them.
I don't really know if we would actually get treated in Houston, or just bring back recommendations here. So much we don't know ... but it is good to be on a path.
We will be in Houston for a weekend, so I am soliciting recommendations for things to do to pass the time. Kurt is talking about heading to the coast, and we have a famous pizza shop to visit. If anyone has ideas of must-do activities, pass it on!
May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I trust you had (or are having) a good day. Hey guys, I bet a visit with George & Barbara would be interesting.hmmm -- Also, if I were there over Sunday, I'd go to Lakewood Church, Joel Osteen's pastoring. Jay lived there awhile, I'll nudge him to give you a suggestion. Keep trusting the Lord with ALL your heart!
Love Always, G'ma D
It seems like everything moves so fast and yet so slow at the same time! It seems like yesterday you decided to go to MD Anderson yet I feel it has taken so long! I'm sure it is worse for you both. Good luck - if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Layne (from my church) was in Houston this week to begin treatment. Hopefully he will be back Sunday and I can ask him how it went! Good luck! Love you both!
There's not that many really fun things to do in Houston other than eat beef and drink beer (2 of my favorite things, but I digress).
You should really try to catch an Astros game if they're in town -- they have a nice stadium. There's a really good organicy restaurant called Barnaby's on Kirby Street that has great food and reminded me alot of Portland. Also, if you want to take a stroll, Memorial Park downtown is really nice (but requires you to be outside in the Houston swelter).
Where are you staying? There are some mega nice hotels in Houston.
I suppose it would be too much to ask that the panel agree to a live video feed so we can all take part!
I'm so excited that you're going and really anxious to hear what the have to say.
And I'm just as grateful to those angels in your lives who have helped open doors for you. God bless them!
hum
Hey guys! Dave and I were just thinking of you tonight (every night actually)... confident that you will gain some great feedback on treatment options in Houston!! So sorry to report back that Houston "kinda sucks" for good times... at least that was a direct quote from a friend who just visited but hey if your feeling adventurous you could head to Laredo where Wanzek is putting up a wind farm... the guys tell me they won't go unless they can expense a bullet proof vest to keep them safe from the Mexican drug cartel border violence... it sounds kinda fun:)
Hi Guys, just caught up on your blog. Have fun in Houston...eat some crawfish if they are in season. Otherwise, prepare for hot and humid.
Love,
Mara, Paul and Mia
Post a Comment