Yesterday was a good day. I got the CT results from JHU just before I left, and they showed that everything is stable from the last scan - nothing bigger, nothing smaller, nothing more. My CEA # was up very slightly to 7.2 from 6.something last time. We're not worried about that as that amount of variation can be found in the uncertainty of the test. We'll get the CA 19-9 next week.
I also had another talk with Dr. Garofalo at UMD about the MRI results. They showed the same thing - multiple small lesions scattered throughout the liver. You can't tell from the MRI or CT whether or not they're still active tumors or dead tumors, but they're still there. Dr. G. put the total liver involvement at 10% or less, which is on the low range of patients that he's seen. He's going to discuss my case with the surgeons, but it sounds like the distribution of the lesions means that I'm not ready for surgery just yet. He is very positive on the SIR-spheres as a regional liver therapy to knock the tumors down to the point that we can surgically remove them.
If any of you out there are interested in more info about these SIR-spheres, you can check out this link: SIRTEX USA. It's an exciting new therapy that's seen some great results in very tough cases. There are some procedures and more tests to be done before I get the treatment, and I think at this point we'll wait until I get back from MT before we get those done. These next two weeks are going to be busy for me getting everything lined up at work for my leave of absence. Between that and the fact that I'm chomping at the bit to head west for harvest, it's going to be a long and short 13 days. I'm planning to head out two weeks from today. Without any passengers I'll drive till I'm tired, sleep on the road, and generally haul ass to get out to MT ASAP!
Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers!!
July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Kurt - We take every little good thing that happens to you (& there are more all the time) and count it ss a blessing and THANK GOD for it. "Every GOOD & PERFECT Gift comes from above" you know. PTL KEEP Focusing on GOD and what HE SAYS. I know HE has great plans for your LIFE; I pray that you will have the Strength that God gives and much Wisdom to make the necessary decisions that you'll need in the next few days. Now you have a restful wkend. Jen, you take rest and strength, also. Be Blessed as you are a Blessing. Love & Prayers-
G'ma D
Awesome news on the treatment progress - huge jumps in your levels are scary but small difference can easily be due to standard error ranges or machine calibrations! By the way - Daniel is totally jealous of you going home for the harvest! You may be able to get some free labor out of him one of these years!! He's convinced its the Montana heritage that has helped you be so successful in your treatment! Good luck getting everything lined up! Love you!!
Post a Comment