March 20, 2009

Unexpected good news

Some of you may remember when I sort of lost my temper in December about some test results that ultimately ended up being good news. As a recap, some cancers put out "markers" into the bloodstream as they grow. One particular marker, called CEA (no idea what that stands for) was nearly 400 when Kurt was diagnosed -- normal is 3 or less. In December, the number had dropped to around 130 or so. The blood test for tumor markers gets done every three months, so they ran it again today. Kurt's CEA level is 5.7!

We are being cautioned to remember that this particular marker is usually used for colon cancer, so it is not totally clear what it means for esophageal cancer. But, it is at least a little good news -- we'll take it!

Kurt has about a half hour or so left for today's treatment, and all is going well.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The new CEA level is amazing!!!! Thanks, Jen, for the info. Glad Kurt is nearing the end of today's treatment. Hope you two have a great weekend! Luv Gigi

Anonymous said...

Absolutely we'll take the good news on the CEA level....add it to our list of little blessings, which is growing each day! These little blessings are the foundation of one big miracle, which we know is coming soon! lotsalove, mom

Vicki said...

That's great news! Let the medical staff remain cautious - I'm taking it as a really positive sign! I think it's time that this cancer should think about raising the little white flag!!!
hum

mborto said...

Well I'm rooting for the markers to equal my GPA the year I lived with Kurt and Homer, ~2.5.

That was the year I thought I could study the same amount as Kurt and get good grades but it turns out that one needs to be insanely smart for that strategy to work out well.

Keep rockin' the free world sKurt!

Steph said...

Carcinoembryonic antigen - its produced during fetal development and by certain cancers-mostly related to the GI tract. There is a far amount of research going on looking at CEA and esophageal cancer so I say it counts! I take it as awesome news that has totally made my day!!! Go have a great weekend and celebrate!!!!

Joe and karla said...

YEAH! GOOD NEWS! Reminded me of this verse:

Psalm 37:10 (Amplified Bible)

10 For yet a little while, and the evildoers will be no more; though you look with care where they used to be, they will not be found.

Karla

Anonymous said...

steph -- thanks so much for the explanation and the postive reaction! love love love having all of this brain power close to kurt! i believe the lower CEA level numbers count, too!

Anonymous said...

p.s I'm going to celebrate, starting NOW!

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to get some really good exciting news. Don't know what Steph said, but it sounds great, so I agree with Vicki.. be positively excited !!! Keep the faith...

Lots of love and hugs,

Grannie Channie & Grandpa Vic.

the uribe family said...

AMEN! That is fantastic news!! you have the right spirit, about living life and pushing cancer right out. Thinking of you two!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer & Kurt,
Your positiveness blesses my heart each time I read your blog:-) So glad for the "unexpected good news." But Jen, I just have to say this....GO ZAGS!!!!!! Know so many of us back in Mt. continue to lift you both up....Myrna Stone

Anonymous said...

Just need to say Happy Birthday, Jennifer...

Lots of Love and Hugs

Grandpa Vic & Grannie Channie