Apologies, apologies. I meant to post on Friday night and now it is already Tuesday. Yikes.
So, the results of Friday's angiogram were good. No indication that the blood flow in the liver will cause the spheres to go anywhere but where they are supposed to. And, the radiologist who administers the treatment is AMAZING. I wish I could capture how great this doctor is. He completely shares our mindset. I was speaking with him Friday, asking about concurrent chemo. He said he felt pretty strongly that Kurt should continue getting chemo every Friday, with no break, as long as he could take it. Then, he said "Normally, with older patients, I might be a little more conservative. But I don't see the point in trying to get another year for Kurt. I want to get you guys multiple years. I'm swinging for the fences with him." I almost burst into tears. Yes!! Finally, we are finding doctors who get it. The radiologist also said that he thought Kurt's response to chemo so far was "miraculous" -- so that was encouraging.
Right now, we are working through all the insurance clearances. Kurt will have to stop the clinical trial to get this treatment, so we are going to try to have the Erbitux approved for off-label use. And, we have to get pre-approval for the spheres. We have a really great case manager at Blue Cross, so I am cautiously optimistic that we will be ok.
Then, we will spend most of the rest of the fall on a seriously aggressive treatment approach. Kurt wants to keep on weekly chemo, as long as he can, so we are trying to figure out what drugs, what dose, etc. Coordinating all these doctors is, quite frankly, a giant pain in the ass.
We will know later this week when the first round of spheres is going to happen. Lots going on -- exciting, scary, overwhelming.
September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
great, great news you guys!
Wow!!! Thanks, Jen, for the great news! I continue to pray every day for Kurt. Keep the faith and the great determination you both have to beat this! God bless you in this new approach with this great doc!! Luv gigi
Such great news and truly, Kurt, you are receiving miracles. We do have a GREAT GOD!! Continue doing what you know to do; I continue to pray for WISDOM for you two and certainly for the DOctors. I do so admire your spirit in finding new things for your treatment. Just keep asking for GOD to reveal to you what is the good treatment for you. It's exciting to see your pioneering spirit blazing forth. We can't quit now -- we're reaching the crest of wonderful things. Love you and God Bless You!
G'ma D
Post a Comment