It's gone very well, at least that's what the nurses say. I only now just woke up from my benadryl haze! Blood work looked good, everything's going well!
We're working on the insurance approval for the SIR-spheres and the off-label Erbitux, and we're going to get to learn the appeals process at BC/BS. That leads into my latest rant...
Please, please, please, please, PLEASE call your congressman and senators and ask them to vote against the health care reform bills going through congress now. I'm convinced that had I been diagnosed and treated while they are in effect I probably wouldn't be here right now to write this post, and here's why.
All the bills floating around now have provisions for "best practices panels" or "cost reduction panels" or something like that. The problem with these panels is that the cutting-edge treatments, my Erbitux and SIR-spheres, definitely fall outside what's considered "best practice" for my diagnosis. This means that as the regulations and taxes imposed drive the private insurance companies out of business and all we're left with is the government funded insurance, I would not be able to get these treatments. This is an example of a "reform" that sounds great at first read to a politician or constituent, but that has very serious, far reaching consequences to those of us with advanced cancer that aren't looking for the extra 6 months of life but a cure. There's probably no problems with the bread and butter medicine outside the cancer world, but I know that from where I sit it has some chilling consequences.
To anybody that thinks my judgement is a little clouded, look at the cancer survival rates in Britain and the U.S. Also, Erbitux is not covered under the British government health plan as it's too expensive for the statistically calculated benefits it provides.
The problem with best practice treatments in the cancer world is that they're all based on aggregated patient statistics that look at the median survival time of patients on the study. My issue with that approach is that I get lumped in with the 75 year old diabetic smoker in the statistical population. In every study, there are several outliers for whom the treatment worked fantastically well, but they only serve to shift the median a little to the right. Government medicine based on these statistics misses the outliers like me, essentially passing along unnecessary death sentences.
Please feel free to plagiarize anything I've written here in your letters and phone calls to your representatives, but please, for my sake and for the sake of all of us in the chemo wards, radiation rooms, and surgical suites, get in contact with them.
/rant
I finally downloaded "Not My Time" by 3 Doors Down last night, and remembered what an awesome song it is. Here's the lyrics to it:
Looking back at the beginning of this, and how life was
Just you and me and love and all of our friends, living life like an ocean
Now the currents slowly pulling me down, it's getting harder to breath
It won't be too long and I'll be going under, can you save me from this
Cuz it's not my time, I'm not going, there's a fear in me, but it's not showing
This could be the end of me and everything I know
Oh, I won't go
I look ahead to all the plans that we made, and the dreams that we had
I'm in a world that tries to take them away, oh, but I'm taking them back
All this time I've just been to blind to understand, what should matter to me
My friend this life we live, it's not what we have, it's what we believe
It's not my time, I'm not going, there's a fear in me, but it's not showing
This could be the end of me and everything I know
There might be more than you believe,
There might be more than you and me,
There might be more than you can see
Cuz it's not my time, I'm not going, there's a fear in me, but it's not showing
This could be the end of me and everything I know
It's not my time
Thanks again for all your prayers, thoughts, and comments!
3 comments:
Yes, I will definitely call old Max again, for what it's worth, since he seems to be ramrodding this thing, or at least one version of it.
And Tester and Rehberg as well.
The rest of your news is good, and NO, your time is not here, I agree with that, too.
When you are fully satisfied. And not before.
Aunt Karla
Kurt, thanks for giving us a starting point to express our fears about health care reform. Good information is so much more effective than just a bunch of baseless ranting.
We should also point out to them that since everyone knows they'll protect their own insurance, they should consider the possibility that the country's most intelligent citizens may run for office just for the insurance. And what chance do any of them have against brains and good sense?
Kurt what a great version of your health care program and the concern you are showing to all of us. Sue Lundy and I were reading your article and would love to see this get sent to the River press so that they can see the concerns being expressed by the people who are in need of health care. We would love to see this in the paper Kurt, this would allow people to express there concerns to the senetors. Thanks again Kurt.
Post a Comment